|Frequently asked questions about the 64 bit version of MapInfo Pro!
||Where can I download the 64 bit version?
For the free trial, the same download link will provide access to both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of MapInfo Pro: http://www.pitneybowes.com/us/mipro-free-trial.html.
The same is true for those downloading the software from the online store.
Is there an extra cost for the 64 bit version? Is it a separate product?
No. There is no extra cost. The same serial number and access code will unlock both the 32 bit and the 64 bit releases of MapInfo Pro. Of course, this pertains to equivalent version numbered releases.
|32 bit version
||64 bit version
|MapInfo Pro v12.5.0 (main release)
MapInfo Pro v12.5.2 (patch release for v12.5.0)
|MapInfo Pro v12.5.1 (main release)
MapInfo Pro v12.5.3 and v12.5.4 are patch releases for v12.5.1
|MapInfo Pro v15.0.x
||MapInfo Pro v15.2.x
||MapInfo Pro v16.0
Can I use the same serial number and access code for the 32 and 64 bit versions?
Yes, a version 12.5 serial number will unlock both v12.5.0 and v12.5.1. A version 15 serial number will unlock both v15.0 and v15.2 licenses.
Can I run both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions on the same computer? Yes. The two different versions can be installed side-by-side on the same system and can be run at the same time. Do not install them to the same folder.
Can I use my data and workspaces created in the 32 bit versions in the 64 bit version?
With respect to data, the answer is yes. Your tables work in both versions.
With respect to workspaces, the answer is a qualified yes. You can open your existing workspaces in the 64 bit version. However, the workspace will look a bit different for a few reasons.
What are the major improvements in the 64 bit version?
- The new windowing system in the 64 bit version means that the layout and appearance of the windows may be different. The contents of the windows will be the same.
- The 64 bit version does not have support for Graph windows. Your workspaces will still open and a message will appear indicating that graph windows are not supported.
- Layout Windows (the legacy type) will be automatically converted to new Layout Designer windows. The new Layout Designer window does not support all the options and possibilities from the legacy Layout window. Limitations include only solid lines and fills are supported for frame fills and borders, Redistricter windows are not supported (within the Layout Designer) and as mentioned above, graph windows are not supported.
There are many. Here are a few highlights:
Which versions have the Layout and Layout Designer windows and which versions only have the Layout Designer window?
- Ribbon based user interface allows for easy customization (without the need to write code) and interactive capabilities. For example, see the impact of label settings by just hovering the mouse over them.
- Support for TAB files larger than 2 GB (as of version 15.2).
- Unicode support (as of version 15.2).
- Support for the GeoPackage data format (as of v15.2). Allows for containing multiple sets of spatial data in a single file.
- Performance improvements (as of version 15.2). See this article for more information.
- Support for tabbed, docked and floating windows. Floating windows can be moved to separate monitors.
- Improved workspace support (including Auto Save and Auto Backup features)
- Support for new Multi-Resolution Raster (MRR) format and improved performance for display of many raster formats. MRR is integral to the new MapInfo Pro Advanced add-on but there are new raster capabilities provided to all v15.2 users. This article includes more details. Click here.
|MapInfo Pro v12.5.0 and v15.0 (32 bit releases)
||MapInfo Pro v12.5.1, v15.2 and future 64 bit releases
|Includes both the original Layout window and the new Layout Designer window.
||Includes only the new Layout Designer window.
|Continues to open existing Layouts in the original Layout window. Does not convert existing Layouts to the new Layout Designer window.
||Converts existing Layouts into the new Layout Designer window.
Will my existing MapBasic applications run in the 64 bit version?
Some will run without modification, some will require work before they can be used in the 64 bit version. "Pure" MapBasic applications that simply create menus and button pads will be "translated" into a menu and buttons on the ribbon. Also, MapBasic dialog boxes work without change. This sort of application can be run without even the need to recompile it. However, as mentioned in the question above, some capabilities, such as the graph window are not present in the 64 bit version.
MapBasic applications that call a 32 bit DLL or other external code will need a 64 bit version of the DLL. This sort of application will require modification to run in the 64 bit version of MapInfo Pro. Images used for button pads are an exception, see below.
MapBasic applications that call Windows functions will continue to work as long as the Windows function is available in the 64 bit version and the function works in the same way as previously.
MapBasic applications that have custom button pads (toolbars) will work (with the exceptions noted above). The buttons from a custom button pad will appear in a special Legacy tab. Even though the icons for the toolbars are contained in a 32 bit DLL we have engineered MapInfo Pro to continue to use the icon images.
Does the 64 bit version include the PDF printer driver and other ancillary capabilities?
|FME Quick Translator
|"Open Universal Data" option
||Yes, in v12.5.1, the installed EasyLoader is a 32 bit application. (It is a separate executable).
A 64 bit EasyLoader is scheduled for July 2016.
|Geographic Tracker Utility
Are the Tools from the Tool Manager in the 64 bit version?
Many of the MapBasic tools that appear in the Tool Manager have been included in the 64 bit version. In the 64 bit version, on the Home tab, look in the Tools drop-down gallery. The interface for the Tool Manager has been improved.
Are you going to stop developing the 32 bit version of MapInfo Pro.
Yes, eventually. Our major release in 2016 (version 16.0) will only be made in a 64 bit version. However, a patch release for v15.0 is scheduled for Q4. We are giving our customers a very long runway to transition to the 64 bit version.
The ribbon takes up too much space, is there anything I can do about that?
Yes, the ribbon has an auto-hide feature (similar to other ribbon style applications). In addition, there is a Quick Access toolbar that you can customize with your most commonly used commands. Thus you can hide the ribbon and reduce or avoid its use, if desired. This article provides details on how you can customize the user interface: Click here.
Where can I learn more?
The MapInfo Pro journal has lots of articles and other resources on both the 32 and 64 bit versions of MapInfo Pro. An archive of articles is here: http://web.pb.com/mapinfopro-archive/
Not using the 64 bit version? You can download a free trial here: http://www.pitneybowes.com/us/mipro-free-trial.html